Now that the building industry has picked up its a good time to post the solution to quite a common problem, fitting a sky satellite dish to scaffolding.
We offer a Sky dish move service and understand that builders and homeowners need a quick and cheap service just give us a call for a free quote, but this may be something you wish to try yourself so below is all you need to know:
For TV reception the dishes need totally clear line of sight with the Sky, just one scaffold pole in the way will pretty much finish the TV picture.
So when construction is in progress it is quite common for the scaffolding to get in the way of the sky dish and effect the sky reception or signal to the property, this problem can be annoying to the house holder but is a lot worse when it effects the neighbors Sky picture! I am no legal expert but I am pretty sure you are not legally liable if your construction effects the neighbors satellite viewing, however we all like happy neighbors.
When moving the sky dish you need to decide whether you want or need to permanently or temporarily relocate the dish, if the new build will look as if it will get in the way probably best to just permanently move the dish now by unbolting the bracket and re-drilling somewhere further along the wall, or if it looks like a temporary move then we will probably need to attach the dish to the other side of the offending scaffold pole.
Instructions to temporally move a satellite dish to scaffold pole.
First step to any satellite dish move is to know your enemy, there are many assembly instructions for a Sky mini dish on line.
Now gather your tools, you will need:
- Cable ties
- Electrical tape
- 10mm spanner
- 13mm spanner
- tipex or paint
- Coax extension lead (Male F connector to female F connector)
- Self amalgamating tape
- Sky dish pole mount hardware like this image (click to inspect):
All specialist dish installation items are normally available on eBay.
Before we start any work lets mark the alignment bolts with a dab of paint or marker pen, so when we relocate the sky dish you have a fighting chance of getting a good picture. The dish can be moved horizontally and vertically on the bracket as long as the new location is perfectly vertical then NO horizontal movement should be required, so leave that bolt tight!
- Unscrew the coax cable/cables from the LNB no tools should be needed.
- Disconnect the one or two 10mm nuts holding the dish arm to the wall bracket, and remove.
- Place the new pole mount bolts through the corresponding holes in the dish arm and place clamp around scaffold pole tighten finger tight.
- Use the Coax extension cables to reconnect the dish to the old cables and seal with the self amalgamating tape.
- Using the dish finder tool at the bottom of the page or a bearing taken from the old dish location loosely align the dish in the correct direction.
- Using a 2nd worker viewing the Sky box signal meter very slowly rotate the dish until peak signal is seen, tighten 13mm bolts. When tightening bolts be aware of the changing dish alignment, it does not take much movement to lose satellite signal.
- Tidy cable using cable ties.
Hopefully that covers all you need to know, but obviously this can all be a bit time consuming if it is the first time you have moved a sat dish, we can carry out this type of work very quickly and carry the required hardware at all times, call us any time for a rapid call out to solve any Sky TV and scaffold issues.
Contact us any time for estimates, quotes or advise on fitting Sky to scaffolding, or any other TV work.
Constables, 50 Mill Way, Bushey, Herts, WD23 2AG.
Monday – Friday 9 AM – 8 PM
Saturday – Sunday 9AM – 5 PM